Monday 7 July 2008

adidas Brand Centre - Beijing

adidas have just completed work on their biggest shop.
It's been built in China to coincide with this years Olympic games.
Yes, this is a very impressive building (although it doesn't exactly blend in with its surroundings does it?), and if I lived in Beijing, I'd probably bankrupt myself on Y-3 gear and football shorts. But something just doesn't feel right. Maybe it's because I get the impression it was built using slave labour on a site where people used to live until the government bulldozed their homes while they were at work, and left them a cheque for 30% of the property's market value.
Without question, this Olympic games will be a memorable spectacle, but I'm pretty certain it will take months to get the bad taste out of my mouth. Would you bet against the Chinese police shooting at demonstrators at some point during the games?
Neither would I...

More info and pics over at hypebeast.

No comments: