Friday 8 January 2010

Racist KFC Commercial?

Racist?

I don't know. It's a stereotype being reinforced, of course, but it really is meant to be lighthearted. I don't see any malice, but that doesn't mean it's not offensive.

I know a number of black dudes who laugh about how much they like fried chicken. Is this ad any worse than those where white people are mocked for having no rhythm? I think we're entering the realms of what is acceptable in comedy. I'm aware that this is not the work of a stand-up comedian pushing the boundaries of taste on stage, and a Corporate giant like KFC should probably know better than to stray into this type of area with their ad campaigns, but I can't help but think we're becoming too sensitive about race. We can't pretend we're all the same, and we have to have a sense of humour about ourselves.

That said, generalisations will always frustrate and annoy people, and that is the case here.

No comments: